Happy New Year, loyal blog readers!Traditionally, a new year brings resolutions, plans, hopes and a whole host of other 'things' for us to shackle ourselves to and then beat ourselves around the place with by the end of the year, when it's likely we haven't achieved them.
My thinking on the subject: be realistic, but don't be lazy... be constructive, but not over-arching... help yourself to change the things you want to, without becoming an incredible pain to those around you.
Now, on a slightly related note, I must say how thrilled I was to see some recognition given to country's lacklustre management skills, which are not restricted to government, I must add! The IMI has recently reported that Ireland's SMEs must 'limber up' and develop their management expertise in order to improve competitiveness (care of IRISHTIMES.com 21/12/10 http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1221/1224285992887.html).
A fine piece of research, I'm sure (I have downloaded said report for digestion later). However, what does it actually mean for small business? A change in mindset for starters - the 'it'll be grand' mentality will no longer suffice. In addition, a clearer sense of purpose, communication and professionalism must come to the fore for many Irish SMEs, who have long been lulled into the sense of profitability through (slightly grubby) flesh-pressing as opposed to ethics and clarity.
Perhaps I am being a little too optimistic, but there is a chance that this 'economic climate' may in fact generate a real chance for change in how Irish business operates.
Yours, in rant,
Olwen
No comments:
Post a Comment