Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Another Consonant, Carol... Cs, Ps and USPs!

Copyright @ jeffreychew.net


I found myself driven to write about this following a course I delivered to some start-ups on Market Research.  To contextualise the training, it was a prescribed course [and a valuable one, in fairness] for individuals about to set up a business.  What was my problem, then?  The jargon.

As I continued, with gusto, through the merits of Market Research – how it is a must for your business – on to the jargon of Cs, Ps and USPs, I found my head spinning involuntarily in a sea of pointless consonants. 

These motivated business people didn’t need to listen to the jargon... they wanted simple, clear advice and guidance on how they could de-risk their business idea.

What’s the point of this rant? To be precise; it’s the importance of understanding your market... who’s the competition and most importantly, who’s the customer [and that you have enough of them].  You don’t need Cs and Ps.  You need information, and market research.  Facts, detail and validation is key.  An understanding of why and how you can offer a better, more novel, or effective solution to the customer’s problem. 

More of the same? Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment