Monday, August 12, 2013

Avoid the Vanity 'Trap' - Get Behind Your Customer's Eyes...

Photo Copyright Link


I was reminded of this topic from the recent SFA Conference, which featured a really energetic and engaging presentation by Gerard Tannam of Islandbridge - focusing on the importance of understanding your customer's values [indeed a strong pitch on the importance of value proposition], matching your offering to these values and needs, and ensuring your brand promise is delivered.

So, Gerard automatically had a converted audience member in me, as this is an argument I regularly have to make to clients, programme participants, and indeed - colleagues.  The 'build it and they will come' view just doesn't cut it, folks - and more importantly - related to other posts on failure or strategy, not knowing your customer is one surefire way of pressurising your business to the point of implosion.  That's not mentioning the huge waste of time involved in finessing a product or service to the point of obsession, only to discover that - uh-oh - your customer segments [if you have done that bit of homework] don't want what you're offering.

Sure - I hear you say - but how do I develop strong customer intelligence on a shoe-string, if I'm starting out and trying to juggle the myriad of 'hats' involved? It's not hard... take Gerard's advice and turn the mirror around, stop obsessing over how amazing your product or service is, and actually talk to your customer.  You'd be surprised how easy it is!

... I don't want to know... yes, yes, I know, you might find out something you didn't know, or more importantly, didn't want to know.  I'm afraid to say, this happens - and you've got to roll with it. Market insights, customer views and real-time information regarding your offering aren't always nice but they are always [pretty much] relevant - why? Because what you don't know, in business, will always hurt you.  Sit up, pay attention and understand how you can use this information to shape how you will redefine your offering.

Boot-strapping or lean approaches often don't require massive R&D / market research investments to generate good data which will inform your product / service development, in fact - simple ways of conducting good research can be done through focus groups, one-to-ones and demos.  However, as your business progresses, more detailed analysis work can be conducted to validate the instinctual or 'fed-back' concepts.

More? Try this for size... Small Business Can | Special Edition Newsletter  Keep Your Eye on the Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment