Monday, March 24, 2014

Know-How from a Self-Confessed Networking Newbie [as published by BNI Ireland South & West]



I don’t think I even knew what networking was when I joined my first network at the ripe old age of twenty-two.  As a young kid on the business block, I realised it would be helpful [and quite social] to join something – I wasn’t sure why though.  Roll on a few years, and, having moved job and geographical location – I realised just the value of networking.

I joined Network Ireland, in Mayo, in 2007 – I’d just moved job, and home.  Though I’m from the West of Ireland originally, I was still totally new to my chosen hometown, and a little at odds as to where to start.  Within a matter of months, I found myself with a group of contacts – including some now long-term personal friends – and a glossary of names I could ‘look up’ if I had a query or just wanted an opinion on something.

Irish people often dispense with the notion that they’re naturally quite good at networking.  As a breed, I’m not sure where we developed this innate ability from – but we do have it, in plentiful supply.  It could be that need we have, to find the ultimate common link we may have with someone [“you’re not that John’s sister – from around the corner? He has a border collie called spot?”].  You get the gist.

Women also possess unique traits when it comes to relationship-building – which often we don’t use to our advantage [more of which on BNI Ireland’s blog] – again, neither this nor my Irish networking chops were skills I ever realised I had, or could use when I started out as a newbie networker.

Three years into my membership of Network, I started my own business.  As we all know, 2010 was a year where our economy was on the crest of the recessionary wave.  Several people thought I was barking mad.  However my network told me otherwise.  Buoyed up by their confidence in me, I felt I could really pursue my idea – and I did.  Fast-forward another three-plus years, and I can really see the value of that network – not just my colleagues at Network Ireland – but the broader business community I’ve organically [and somewhat accidentally] built.

Not only has my network created opportunities for me, including projects and clients, but it has given me ideas, knowledge and support.  Why do I think this might be the case? Well, I’ve never been afraid to put my network first – connecting people and opportunities – and seeking out new ways of supporting or helping colleagues where I see there may be a way to do so.

If these last few years of economic change have taught us anything, as business-people, it is the importance of relationships and maintaining strong connections.  Reputation and quality is everything… and having trusted colleagues to work with, refer to and collaborate with is paramount.

In my non-expert opinion,  networking is central to any successful endeavour – in business and life.  Make sure you know your network, and put those natural networking talents to work!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, Thank you for sharing this. There are a couple of aspect that sound familiar to my Italian culture. Italians are naturally social and do not need to learn and practice networking skills! WRONG! Women are great networkers as long as they are not doing it for themselves! TRUE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luisa, I can't believe I missed this comment until now! That's really interesting to know, there are definite cultural similarities... so tell me, when are we going to do that collaboration?!

    ReplyDelete